Police clearances

  • Overview

    Many jobs in the areas of education, health, humanities and social sciences, and science require a police clearance. As a student, you may have an external placement, clinical practice or practicum involving contact with the public as part of your course. You may need to obtain a police clearance before an external placement, clinical practice or practicum.

    A criminal record may not necessarily prevent you from completing your placement. However, serious crimes:
    • of a violent or sexual nature,or
    • where the victim was under 18 years of age or elderly, or
    • for dealing or trafficking in drugs, or
    • involving fraud, or
    • any offence which results in a jail sentence
    may make you unsuitable for employment and/or provision of services to clients.

    Be aware that if you apply for a police clearance this information may be placed on a national database and made available to other authorities (if it is of a sexual or child related nature).

    The university concerned will provide you with further details about obtaining the relevant police clearance upon enrolment, or included with your offer of a place. You should apply promptly for a police clearance as your application may take time to be processed.

  • Which courses?

    While external agencies' requirements can sometimes change without notice, at this time the universities are aware that a police clearance may be required from students enrolling in the following fields of study:
    • Education: Teaching
    • Humanities and Social Sciences: Children and Family Studies, Psychology, Social Work, Welfare Studies, Youth Work
    • Health: Chiropractic Science, Dentistry, Health Sciences and Technologies, Medical Sciences, Medicine, Nursing, Occupational Therapy, Physiotherapy, Podiatric Medicine, Rehabilitation Studies.

    The Department of Education and Training and Department of Health have their own screening programs. Contact the relevant Department for the course(s) in which you're interested.

    Education related disciplines:
    Contact the Department of Education Screening Unit
    Telephone: (08) 9264 4477
    Email: screening@education.wa.edu.au

    NOTE: The Department of Education has its own 'CrimTrac' police clearance system. The application form is at www.det.wa.edu.au/screening/detcms/portal/. Click on 'Screening'. Please also be aware of the provisions of the Working with Children Act.

    Health related disciplines:
    For information or if you've any concerns about obtaining a police clearance please contact the Criminal Record Screening Office of the Department of Health
    on email: CR.Screening@health.wa.gov.au.

    If you're a double-degree student requiring both an education and a health police clearance, an education police clearance is accepted by the Department of Health, as long as it was done within the last 12 months, as at the date of receipt at the Department of Health.

  • Application for working with children check

    If you're an education or health science student who is going to be working with children within the ages of 0-17 for the purpose of your practicum, you'll be required to undergo a Working with Children Check. If you're a Medicine, Dentistry or Podiatric Medicine student, you'll also be required to undergo a Working with Children Check. Apply for a Working with Children Check through Australia Post agencies.